Fill the form
An Independent Visitor is an adult volunteer who befriends a young person in care and develops a long-term friendship with them. This often involves helping young people develop new interests, skills and hobbies or going on outings such as to the cinema, bowling or just a walk in the park.
Each volunteer is carefully matched with a child or young person in care in their local area who shares similar interests.
What do Independent Visitors do?
• Visit a child to befriend them
• Provide looked after children with someone to talk to who is independent of the local authority
• Provide a consistent and reliable adult with a view to building a trusting and positive relationship with the child
• Provide a child with the opportunity to try new activities and spend time with them away from their placement. This in turn can enhance progress and resilience of children, by building self-esteem, strengthening mental health and opening new social relationships outside of the care system.
What skills and experience do you need?
Ability to easily build rapport an identify with children and young people
Willing to commit to a child for at least one year and preferably two years
We will carry out safer recruitment checks and you will be required to have an Enhanced DBS check
Excellent communication skills, good report writing skills and a high level of critical analysis
A good role model for a child or young person who may have experienced difficult times during their childhood
We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our team as an Independent Visitor.
Full training and support will be given, and expenses reimbursed.
Other benefits of the role include:
- Make a lasting difference to the life of a child or young person
- Share fun activities and creative hobbies with a young person
- Be a positive role model
- Develop a long term trusting relationship
- Gain experience of working with a young person in care
- Excellent training, support and being part of an ethical and caring organisation
You must be 21+, available for flexible working and able to commit to a minimum of 1 year. As a volunteer, you would spend about 3-4 hours every month with your allocated child.
As part of the recruitment process, candidates will be required to attend necessary training for the role. Interviews will be arranged in due course thereafter.
If you would like to apply to be an Independent Visitor, or discuss the opportunity with a member of the team, then we’d love to hear from you!