- Adults and Transition 16+
Forensic Mental Health
- Knowledge of how liaison of diversion functions upon arrest
- An awareness of how to differentiate between intrusive thoughts and risk of sexually harmful behaviour
- Knowledge of pre-trial and pre-sentence processes, related mental health legislation and important case law
- Knowledge of part three of the Mental Health Act
- Knowledge of services available in secure hospital and prison
- Knowledge of forensic community provision, to include MAPPA, probation, social supervision, approved premises and probation
- Knowledge of the interface between forensic mental health services/processes and the criminal justice system.
- An awareness of the impact race and culture play in forensic mental health
This course aims to cover the important services and legislation related to forensic mental health practice. The training utilises four case examples (vignettes) and follows these people’s journey through the forensic mental health system. It starts at the point the four people are arrested, follows them through liaison and diversion, the court process, their sentence (hospital and prison) and then into the community upon release/discharge.
On this journey the customers will learn about liaison and diversion, important pre-trial and pre-sentence processes, case law and sentencing with reference to part three of the Mental Health Act. They will also gain knowledge of the services available in secure hospital and prison. The training concludes by providing information on community post sentence provision to include probation, approved premises, social supervision, and MAPPA. Through the training ethical, legal, and cultural factors are considered and there is a particular focus on the impact of race within the forensic mental health system.
This course is delivered by our expert facilitators who will bring their first hand experience and tailor the course to suit your learning needs.
Our course covers the following topics:
- Introduce self and aims for today
- Liaison and Diversion
- Conditional Caution
- Sexual Offending and Intrusive Thoughts
- Fitness to plead
- Insanity defence
- The role of the Expert Witness
- Part three of the Mental Health Act
- Prison Treatment
- Hospital Experience
- Race and Culture
- MAPPA and Approved Premises
This course includes:
- Case studies
- Safeguarding practice reviews
- Group work
Benefits of the course:
- Up-to-date and in line with the key legislation and guidance in the UK
- No pre requisites needed to join this course
- Delivery from professional and expert facilitators in the field
Safeguarding Adults Enquiry Skills
Dignity in Care
- Adults and Transition 16+
Deprivation of Liberty in Health, Social care and Community Settings
Book a Course
To book a course directly, or enquire about our courses, please fill in the form below and one of our team members will get in touch with you soon.